I know one of the main things I think about on a daily basis is weight loss and I know that I am not alone. It’s hard in todays world to fully commit to an exercise plan or a vigorous work out after a long day at work! I am here to tell you that exercise is a great tool to lose weight but if you are eating an unhealthy diet the exercise is not going to be as effective as you want it to. Here are 10 easy tips to help change your current lifestyle to a healthy one.
- Eat until you are 80 % full (if you eat until you are completely full you are actually stretching your stomach making it harder for you to feel full in the future AND you end up eating more food)
- Eat slowly and enjoy your food. Most of the time I am in a rush and gobble my food down as quickly as possible. When you do that it takes your body 20 minutes to realize it’s full. That’s a full 20 minutes of my body still telling me I am hungry and I end up eating more. So SLOW DOWN!!
- Cut yourself off 3 hours before you sleep! Your metabolism slows down tremendously at night and takes longer for the midnight snack to digest.
- Drink water when you wake up! When you wake up you are dehydrated and that can really slow down your body. After drinking water you are not as hungry to eat a huge breakfast.
- Eat Frequently (5 small meals a day) Most of you have probably heard this tip but it truly works! I will pack a lunch with my main meal (probably a sandwich) and then have little snacks to eat all throughout the day. This allows you to eat the right portion and to regularly control your metabolism and sugar intake.
- Eat with a small plate versus a big plate. I am at fault when I say that I love to fill my plate up but that also means that I am going to eat what’s on my plate. Just think about this…you can always go back for more but you can’t get rid of what you have already had to eat. Sometimes after I finish eating I say to myself “Man, I didn’t mean to eat that much”… being able to control portions is a HUGE accomplishment and calorie saver.
- Ditch the Soda! In every can of soda it can have up to 10 spoonfuls of sugar! The thing about sugar is that it instantly turns into carbs and goes into fat storage versus fueling your body!
- Drink a glass of water 30 minutes before your meal. This will help with portion control as well.
- Ditch your sides! We all go out to a restaurant and buy a burger that always comes with fries. In all fairness to the burger…it’s actually big enough to fill you up. Your stomach is the size of your fist… If you choose a side veggies or a salad is great to fill you up. Say no to FRIES!!
- Have more color in your diets and less whites. More veggies and fruits and less rice, bread and starches. Make sure that salad is so colorful that you want to instagram it ladies!
Even if you implement just one of these tips into your diet it will start to make you feel better and more energized. Those are some things that I follow! Hope this helps some of you.